Re: Re: What font/size do you use for programming?

At 9:40 AM -0500 7/10/08, Philip Thompson wrote:
On Jul 10, 2008, at 4:07 AM, Peter Ford wrote:
I'm using Lucida Sans for code these days - I finally figured that it didn't really have to be a fixed-width font, since I couldn't find one that wasn't ugly.

Are you sure you're a *coder*? =D I've looked at some code in a non fixed-width font before and it hurt my eyes! I bet you use tabs instead of spaces too. ;)

~Phil

~Phil:

As I wrote to Ted off-list.

A fixed width is not easier for me. After years of being forced to use a command, light on dark, and one font, it's a relief to pick what I want.

All my correspondence, email, notes, and coding is done in one font. The only time I change fonts is in final formal-presentations/publications and web sites.

For me, consistency between me and the computer screen is paramount in all my writing, including coding. I don't want to see the same word presented differently based upon what application I'm using.

As far as alignment of brackets and whatnot, I have absolutely no problem with the weird-ass style I use, which I use for ALL languages, namely:

php/javascript

whatever()
   {
   whatever;
   }

and html

<whatever>
   whatever
</whatever>

and css

.whatever
   {
   whatever: whatever;
   }

and whatever else (i.e., actionscript, perl, c, c++, FB, and more than I want to remember).

A tab is consistent regardless of the type of font you use. I could not imagine putting spaces in my code when tabs work exceedingly well.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------