Re: Pear DB

John Comerford wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have just successfully lobbied for the company I work for to use PHP/MySQL for our next website. My Question is regarding DB abstraction . I know there is a Pear DB module, is this the best to use ? I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that there is a newer lib or something which is considered better ?

As others have said - MDB2 or PDO are the Pear:DB replacements, but if you would like a proper abstraction of SQL then ADOdb is still the best choice and it can handle PDO or raw mysql drivers internally. But more important it gives you the safety net to be able to switch to an alternative to MySQL ;)

http://adodb.sourceforge.net/

You will also find a lot of useful projects that are built on it which may provide the bulk of your site code. No need to build a site from scratch - just select a suitable framework :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL