Re: Keeping POST values when paging

On 8 Jul 2008, at 21:09, Philip Thompson wrote:

On Jul 8, 2008, at 2:42 PM, Thiago H. Pojda wrote:

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Philip Thompson <philthathril@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
On Jul 8, 2008, at 12:32 PM, tedd wrote:

At 4:18 PM +0100 7/8/08, Mayer, Jonathan wrote:
In the end I decided the simplest way of coding the functionality was to do something similar to what Eric said, and have some extra submit buttons in the form, called Next, Previous and Jump. When clicked, they each submitted the form again with a different flag set. Along with a session variable storing the "current" page, I was able to code a reasonably neat solution deciding which results to show without having to rewrite any sections of my code. Because these submit buttons are tied to a form at the top of the page, this has limited me to only having the navigational buttons at the top of the results table rather than at the bottom too, but that is perfectly
fine in my situation.

Jon:

Actually, you don't need to use sessions, post, nor get to pass variables between scripts.

Here's an example:

http://www.webbytedd.com/bb/tedd/index.php

Of course, the smart ones on this list will figure it out pretty quickly.

I guess I'm not smart. =( If it's fairly obvious, then I'm not seeing it...

~Phil

Me neither. I'm guessing: either it's using a file to transfer vars (cookie or server-written file), or... I don't know :P

Regards,
Thiago

Technically, SESSIONs and COOKIEs are just files as well, so I don't think it's a file. Oh oh oh! I know! He's using the Force! Did I get it right?!

I've only had a quick look but as far as I can see it's keeping the vars in a form, the form posts to index.php so I'm guessing index.php simply includes the script you specify on the form.

Not what I would call "pass[ing] variables between scripts" but that's just semantics.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/