Re: Looking for a reasonable explanation as to why $_REQUEST exists

On 7/7/08, Eric Butera <eric.butera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You asked for an explanation.  I was just stating that is how I've
> seen some people write apps.  I've also stated that isn't how I write
> them either.  I use something along these lines:

This is true. I really wanted to ask the internals folks first, to see
how it came up. I mean, if there wasn't the option available, people
would figure out a way to do it (probably one of the two ways I was
showing before)

The problem is, the cat's out of the bag now and a lot of people are
just being lazy (in my mind) especially those who are used to ASP's
Request.Value() which unfortunately is a lot of our developers at
work. They don't have a real good background as to the difference
between POST vs GET and even how the web works it seems.

That's why in the library I've created for us to use, I unset() it
before it's usable. Most third party software works okay too - off the
top of my head we've got Pligg, WordPress, MediaWiki all using hooks
into my library - a couple I did have to do a $_REQUEST =
array_merge($_POST, $_GET) on, unfortunately.