Re: No Database Connection possible (mySQL)

First problem : there are not return in the function as it said
Second problem : php make a real connection with a unique id to a server database

$server1 = array("localhost","user","pass")
$server2 = array("localhost2","user2","pass2")

Function mysqlConnectServer($server)
{
$uid = mysql_connect($server) or die(mysql_error());
return $uid;
}

$uidServer1 = mysqlConnectServer( $server1);
$uidServer2 = mysqlConnectServer( $server2);

$db1_1 = mysql_select_db("tava", $uidServer1);
$db1_2 = mysql_select_db("tava2", $uidServer1);
$db2_1 = mysql_select_db("tava", $uidServer2);
$db2_2 = mysql_select_db("tava2", $uidServer2);

In this exemple we used, only 2 mysql connections to create 4 databases connections, on 2 mysql servers.

Depending of your application, you must manage server and database connection, to manage error and problem connection, but also for performance and don't create a server connection each time you connect to a different database on the same mysql server.
Also look at PDO:mysql and mysqli on php.net
Mysqli is simple to use, for exemple mysqli_connect(), use a mysql_connect or a mysql_pconnect depending of your configuration. Also mysqli check all server connection, if already exist it dont create a new connection to the server, but use an allready connection even your code isn't really optimised. PDO is more complex and, in my mind, have some problem of performance at this time.

""Aviation Coding"" <aviationcoder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de news:3c6e2d9f0807040215w50cf1d05k785e9644515b2a6b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I am having problems with a connection to a mysql database.

I am using

----
function con()
{
mysql_connect("localhost","user","pass") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("tava") or die(mysql_error());
}
----

Now, when I call the _function_ (!)
----
con() or die("no con");
----
I get the "no con" output.

When I call the mysql_connect and mysql_select directly before executing a
query, I get some DB output. But that won't work when I am using the
function...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Chris