Re: Re: class_is_loadable?

On Saturday 05 July 2008 2:25:20 pm Pulni4kiya wrote:
> First of all, I don't think using autoload is recommended.

Why not?  I know there is a performance hit for the lookup time, but for the
system I'm working on I have already solved that issue with selective
pre-caching.

> If you really want to do it that way, you could check if the file which
> autoload will try to include exists and if it does, include it and create
> your object.

Well yes, but then I'm not using autoload at all.  I may as well just
include_once() and class_exists(), which is what I'm trying to avoid, both
for code cleanliness and performance (include_once() has its own performance
issues).

> Actually to make the script more safe, after including the file you should
> check if the class exists (because the file might exist but not have the
> class in it) and only then you can make the object of that class.
>
> I suppose you could throw the exception you want and do it with the
> try-catch as you like it :)

Again, that's basically just reimplementing autoloading in user-space, which
defeats the purpose.

If I know exactly which autoload routine would be responsible for loading a
given class, can I do the check in that autoload routine and throw an
exception there?  Or would that make insanity happen? :-)

--
Larry Garfield
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx