Asynchronous PHP Execution

I have a system where a user clicks on a button which causes rows to
be inserted in to the database.  I'd also like to run some lengthier
post-processing on those rows, but don't want to put it in the
critical path of the rows being inserted and returning to the user.
What's the best way to either batch up these other actions, or pass
them to a thread or other asynchronous process to do the second part
of the action?

I've thought about using a queue, either backed by a FIFO file (which
is proving somewhat difficult) or MySQL, and exec/shell (but that
doesn't seem to be asynchronous), but neither seems optimal.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Waynn