Re: CURL de-bugging: So why am I not getting the results page on the target site?

Thanks Chris and Andrew,

An interesting article here on VIEWSTATE in asp: http://www.dotnetjohn.com/articles.aspx?articleid=71 refers to MAC encoding using SHA1 or MD5, alternatively Triple DES symmetric algorithm. However, in either event, VIEWSTATE seems to be just what is sent by the server which the server expects to receive back unmodified. I tried the same input form as on the target server on a test page on my site with the action on the form to the target server and that works OK to get the results page on the target server. I have also tested on my server that the CURL POST variables are giving sensible inputs like the ones that the page would produce on GET. In the process, I also learned that colons in the POST variable names don't need to be changed for HTML encoding, spaces in the variable values do need to be, anyway the POST variables seem to work OK as I said. Whatever is or is not being sent by the script as opposed to the input form on a test page of my site is the difference that I am looking for. I will try another site see can I learn anything in the process.

Oh, and decoding the string as suggested (print_r(base64_decode($view_state_string));) gives one value in the array and a mixture of English and other characters plus most of the page: eg d....2Ö8ÿÿÿÿ Version=0.0.0.0, and other characters that do not copy to this email etc. As above, I don't see that this is interfering with CURLing the results page if it is simply sent back in the post.

John