Re: Monitor a WP website

<clippity>

> So, you want something to tell you if something new has been added to
> a remote site, right?
>
> There used to be free services that did that -- I used to monitor
> competitors's web sites using such service. But, I think they
> eventually stopped the free service. Here's one site that charges:
>
> http://www.webmetrics.com/websitemonitoring.html
>
> Now, if you want to do this on your own, then it should be simple
> enough to use get_file_contents and put the file through a md5()
> function (or use md5_file) and store the result in a dB.
>
> Then cron a check every so often to see if the hash has changed. If
> it has, then email you notice, rehash the site and store it in the dB.
>
> Or, am I completely off-base in understanding what you wanted (as
> I've been told lately)?

tedd,
(damnit, Outlook capitalized that for me, and I had to change it
back...)

I believe he is talking about providing such a service. Of course, I've
heard of companies that outsource their entire livelihoods and charge
their own customers out the nose for proxy.

I'm not sure if he's trying to simply determine if a change has been
made or if he is trying to notify people of the particular item that has
been posted.

Clarifications, Ryan?

</clippity>

Hey,
This is strange, I didnt get Tedds message but only got to read it through yours.

Sorry for the mixup, yes, was thinking of making something like this and offer it for free, its a bit of both: what you and Tedd said.

I want to check if a new post has been published AND get the text+url of the post to send out to people along with the link to it.

To make matters worse, i think i am a bit confused about the feeds themselves... i used to work with RSS feeds from Yahoo! and others (example: http://www.php.net/news.rss) but they used to come via XML... but now i see a lot of sites using something different via "feedburner" (example http://feeds.feedburner.com/eZeeDotse) or wordpress' default feed (example: http://www.ballz.info/feed/)

um... help?

:)

Cheers!