Communicated-Key/Token for SOAP Authentication

Hi all,

I'm working on a relatively straight forward Web API that'll have a
SOAP presence.  The most secure way of going about doing
authentication would be undoubtedly client-certificate authentication.
 I have been able to implement such a service straight forward as
there is plenty of documentation out there covering how to do so.  I
have some clients who're reluctant to manage client certificates at
this point in time, and do prefer a communicated-key authentication,
very similar to what Amazon and a few of the other big boys do.  I'm
having a bit of a difficult time coming up with multiple solutions as
to how to properly implement this for my service besides stuffing a
random hash into my database and making them send it to me over SSL
through their message payload.  I can then compare the hash against
what's in the database + their IP, or something else.

Would anyone be able to suggest some algorithm for the way I'm
handling the tokens that's more secure and less "brute-forcible" than
the methodology I described above?  My objective in this exercise is
not to only authenticate who's sending me the SOAP envelope, but also
to ensure that whatever token/key system I implement is not open for
very simple brute force.  If they're able to knock down my brick
house, I have other problems --- but I definitely want to build that
brick foundation.

Suggestions, web articles, books etc., are all welcome!

Thank you for any advice from you avid web service gurus.

/sf