Re: Case sensitive password

At 4:06 PM -0400 6/19/08, Andrew Ballard wrote:
I could be wrong, but I didn't see anything about a username. It
sounds to me more like it is a single password shared with all the
people who should have access to a specific, non-personalized area of
the site. It certainly wouldn't be my preferred way to set up
security, but depending on the level of risk involved it may be
sufficient.

Andrew

Andrew:

I had the exact same case with a client. My client teaches classes and wanted to provide the attendees with a url where they could download PDF files for the class.

In this case, they only needed a password AND the password was identical for everyone.

Sure attendees could distribute the url and password, but requiring a password makes it just a bit harder than just giving out the url and allowing everyone/thing to download the files. The file were delivered to the user by a password protected script, so no one could bookmark the files.

And doing it this way required no effort by my client to keep track of user names. He just taught the class, gave out the url/password, and the software did the rest.

So, in this case it made sense.

Cheers,

tedd

--