Re: substr?

On 17 Jun 2008, at 14:05, Jason Pruim wrote:
On Jun 17, 2008, at 8:46 AM, Stut wrote:
On 17 Jun 2008, at 13:39, Jason Pruim wrote:
I am attempting to adopt some code to work more reliably then how it is now...

What I am doing is coding a upload form where people could be uploading .zip files in excess of 200 MB... Yes I know that is large, but it's for a print shop and they get HUGE files to print from.

The code I'm having issues with is this:

$filename = $_FILES['userfile']['name']; // Get the name of the file (including file extension). $ext = substr($filename, strpos($filename,'.'), strlen($filename)-1); // Get the extension from the filename.

All I want to do is grab the file extension and verify that it is a .zip or a .pdf etc. file. This is working for small files (under a few megs) but for some reason it fails when I get bigger. I have increased the allowed memory size to 50 MB's I'm testing with a 44 MB file right now.

When it fails, it says the file type is not allowed even though it is listed in the file type array.

Hopefully I have given you enough to go on to at least ask me some questions :)

Sounds like you haven't increased upload_max_filesize in php.ini. If you actually look at what's in $_FILES['userfile'] you'll see most of it's empty. I suggest you add some more error checking rather than assuming everything worked ok.

Hey Stut,

I'm looking into that now, i just increased the php.ini upload_max_filesize to 250M and tried uploading a 44MB file and it failed... I'll try and add some more error checking, but I'm really leaning towards the problem being in the code I posted... But please, prove me wrong! :)

Did you restart the web server after changing it? Are you sure you're editing the right php.ini?

There's nothing wrong with our code that I can see. On an efficiency note you don't need the last parameter to substr - if it's omitted it defaults to the remaining test.

I would suggest doing a var_dump on $_FILES['userfile'] before the code you've posted to check it contains the right stuff. If not then it's the upload that's failing and nothing in your code.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/