From: T Lensselink [dev@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 4:22 AM
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  extension=mssql.so vs. ;extension=php_mssql.dll

Wei, Alice J. wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I am not sure what is exactly the problem with my configurations while I am trying to configure Apache, PHP and FreeTDS throughout my attempts to install these packages into my Linux.
>
>  It appears that I am doing everything correctly as I am going through listservs, forums and online articles for the configurations, but there is something that goes wrong. So far I have noticed that in my phpinfo() page, I still don't see the mssql packages listed as I should have.
>
>   Some things I need to be clarified:
>

> 1.      I noticed that in http://us.php.net/mssql, it mentioned how we are supposed to add extension=mssql.so in the php.ini file, while in other places I was told to uncomment extension=php_mssql.dll. It appears that this did not give me the right configurations, still, even though the installation did suggest that mssql support is yes.
>

> 2.      I used the following to configure my PHP AFTER I had installed and compiled FreeTDS like most of you said, ./configure --with-mssql=/usr/local/freetds --prefix=/usr/local/php, but every single time, it gives me this: Directory /usr/local/freetds is not a FreeTDS installation directory
>

> Could this signify the reason why I cannot see PHP configured with MSSQL connection? If yes, why is it possible that the support for MSSQL in the php.ini file has been commented out?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Alice Wei
> MIS 2009
> Indiana University Bloomington
> ajwei@xxxxxxxxxxx

I had the same problem trying to compile php 5.2.6 with freetds on
Ubutu. No matter what i tried it kept giving me the "Directory
/usr/local/freetds is not a FreeTDS installation directory". I ended up
coping some files. wich resulted in a working mssql extension. It's a
hack. But for me it worked.

I configured freeTDS with the following config options:
./configure --with-tdsver=7.0 --enable-msdblib --enable-dbmfix
--with-gnu-ld --enable-shared --enable-static --prefix=/usr/local/freetds

And after make && make install; i copied the following files.

cp [tds source]/include/tds.h /usr/local/freetds/include
cp [tds source]src/tds/.libs/libtds.a /usr/local/freetds/lib

Then i configured php with --with-mssql=shared,/usr/local/freetds

Hope it helps.