Re: PHP connection to external application

On 6/13/08, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hce wrote:
>
>  > I am not certain if the msg_send / msg_receive in PHP can talk to the
>  > external C program msg_send  / msg_receive as PHP and external C
>  > program are in different processes, different memory spaces.
>

> System V message queues are intended for just that; IPC = Inter Process
>  Communication.
>

>  > (a) A simple way is if for every PHP request, it opens socket, sends a
>  > request and gets a response from the C server then closes the socket.
>  > It should work, but I am not sure:
>  >    (i) if the open / close socket per request will cause delays and
>  > performance issues.
>

> They will cause both delays and performance issues.  But whether these
>  will matter for your use is a different question.  The process you've
>  describe (open,get,close) is no different to sending an email or
>  getting a web-page.  People send a lot of email and serve a lot of
>  webpages without major performance issues :-)
>

>  > (ii) What is the maximum number concurrent requests in a PHP web
>  > application?
>

> That's up to your webserver - if it's big enough, you can serve a lot of
>  concurrent requests.
>

>  > Will the maximum socket number  / or port number (up to 2^16) be a
>  > bottleneck for large number of concurrent requests (hundred
>  > and thousands)?
>

> Probably not.
>

>  > (b) If for all PHP requests share only one socket to connect to the
>  > external C server, I am not sure if the PHP is able to do multiplex
>

> "PHP is stateless" ??  PHP is a scripting language, not a protocol.
>  Besides, it would take quite a bit of work to make your thousands of
>  concurrent PHP requests share a single socket.

Sorry for not being clear here. I was saying PHP web application is
stateless, not the PHP. You are right, it would take more efforts to
use the share a single socket. It is not an option.

Anyway, thanks for all your responses and suggestions. It was good
suggestion to use SOAP and  Web services, but we have very small
latency requirement, I have already worried about the delay in the
lower level of socket, it will be evern more processing delays for
useing SOAP and Web services. I'll keep eye on that option if our
processing delay requirement can be altered.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,.

Jim