Re: Capture homepage screenshot

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> it took me longer than i thought too.  the main issues are performance ones.

    My main issues are paid projects taking precedence over non-paid.  ;-P

> 1. time to capture a single screen (need a decent box to ensure this is
> reasonable)
>   there are several things here, load url from client; bring it up in
> browser, snap it, put it on disc so subsequent requests can be fast, resize,
> and finally, ship it off to the client via php's binay output support
>
> 2. handling silmultaneous requests
>   using the browser / full screen capture approach, simultaneous requests
> have to be queued.  perhaps a priority queue is best because cached requests
> can be served immediately.

    Mine will be browserless, X-less, et cetera.  It'll likely be one
of the first, too, I guess.

[snip!]
> w/ my prototype on a ~400MHz box w/ linux and a crappy video card; it was
> taking like 30 seconds for a complete turnaround on an uncached request.
> using lighttpd and php, imagemagik, ajax and some other cli programs, i cant
> remember off the top of my head.

    My preliminary test averages 0.7 seconds (seven-tenths of one
second), but I expect that to increase by quite a bit.  Possibly in
the 5-10 second area.

> again, eager to see your stab at it.

    I'll try to get it out this weekend, and anyone who wants the
details to access it via Subversion, when ready, can send me a request
privately.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Dedicated Servers - Intel 2.4GHz w/2TB bandwidth/mo. starting at just