slowness mystery (part 2)

In my previous post, I listed 50Kb of obfusicated gzipped javascript loading
in 3.5 seconds.
It turns out that it was the decompression of the obfusication that was
causing the delay.
Twiddling with parameters for phpjso (the obfusicator) brought that down to
just 320ms.

But now i have sort of the same problem in loading a bit of HTML text.
It takes 1100ms to load 2Kb of HTML.
I think it should be more like 100-300ms.

The text is taken from a database, but when i bypass that and include the
result between ?> and <?php, it reports the same load time of 1100ms.

I was wondering what else could cause the slow loading..
Or am i hoping for too much speedness here? :)