Re: Improving development process / help with developer setup

On May 19, 2008, at 520AM, robert mena wrote:
So, in order to allow phpunit to be ran, have the firefox/IE support and use
xdebug I have two basic options:
a) stay with windows, install XAMPP (or any other all-in-one). And live
with the fact that some things will have to be taken care of (such as
PATH differences between unix/windows)

This is what we do where I work. XAMPP has been configured and put into Perforce (our revision control system) so anytime a change is made or we decide to update to a new version of XAMPP, all the devs need to do is grab the latest version. This makes it very nice when people need help setting something up as we all have the exact same setup.

We've created some template vhost files for setting up new sites, so getting a new site setup on the local machine is much easier now, especially for those devs who still don't know all that much about Apache. Once a vhost file is working properly, we check it into perforce so that if we need to reinstall XAMPP later, or if someone else needs to work on the site it's as simple as getting the latest version of the file from perforce.

For the path differences, we are starting to move the include_path setting out of .htaccess where we've been setting it and into the vhost configuration for the site. Of course this also needs to be done on the server, but it only takes a couple minutes to do.

I'd much rather be using a Mac or Linux at work and using vmware for IE testing, but that's not up to me.

b) switch to linux with the development stack, enable a windows server to be
connected from rdesktop so they can test the IE

I would get feedback from your devs about this before making such a drastic switch. Personally, I'd love to ditch windows on my box at work, but I know that some of the devs I work with would not be very happy about that. It also depends on what software your devs are using, and if it's available on Linux. Sure, there are alternatives to everything, but learning to use and becoming efficient with an alternative isn't nearly as productive as continuing to use the same tools.

Brady