Re: Working with internal data formats

Iv Ray wrote:
John Gunther wrote:
 > What technique can I use to take an 8-byte double precision value, as
 > stored internally, and assign its value to a PHP float variable without
 > having the bytes misinterpreted as a character string.

Does it get misinterpreted, or do you just want to be sure?

The documentation says -

"Some references to the type "double" may remain in the manual. Consider double the same as float; the two names exist only for historic reasons."

Does this cover your case?

Iv
No.

Example: I extract the 8 bytes 40 58 FF 5C 28 F5 C2 8F from an external file, which is the internal double precision float representation of the decimal value 99.99. Starting with that byte string, how can I create a PHP variable whose value is 99.99?