fsockopen on ssl://

Hi all

I have tried researching this issue but havent come up with any solution so im hoping someone has seen it before and can help. I have the following test script that uses fsockopen to connect to a https site, get the contents and outputs it.

<?php
$host = "www.microsoft.com";
$path = "/";
$fh = fsockopen("ssl://".$host, 443, $errno, $errstr, 5);//opens url for reading with a timeout of 2 seconds

if (!$fh){
    echo "FAIL: $errno $errstr ";
}
else{
    $out = "GET $path HTTP/1.1\r\n";
    $out .= "Host: $host\r\n";
    $out .= "Connection: Close\r\n";
    $out .= "\r\n";
    fwrite($fh, $out);
    stream_set_timeout($fh,2);
    $info = stream_get_meta_data($fh);
    if($info['timed_out']){
        echo "TIMEOUT\n";
    }
    else{
        $haystack = "";
        while (!feof($fh)) {
            $haystack.= fgets($fh, 4096);
        }
    }
    print $haystack;
    fclose($fh);
}
?>

if i run this script using php -f test.php it works fine. However if i try and run this on my loca apache server i get the following error:

Warning:  fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]:unable to connect to ssl://www.microsoft.com:443 (A connection attemptfailed because the connected party did not properly respond after aperiod of time, or established connection failed because connected hosthas failed to respond.) in C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\test.php on line 4
FAIL: 10060 A connection attempt failed because the connected party didnot properly respond after a period of time, or established connectionfailed because connected host has failed to respond.

As you can see from that error i am using windows and apache 2.2. My php version is 5.25. I have Registered Stream Socket Transports tcp, udp, ssl, sslv3, sslv2, tlsin my config.

Thanks for any help in advance and it is greatly appreciated, this problem is driving me nuts!!

Cheers

Bob

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.