Re: validating textarea using php

Sudhakar wrote:
> i do not want
> this to happen, if a user simply hits the spacebar and does not type
> anything i should be able to display an alert message.

From usability point of view such check will, in many cases, generate annoyance, and bring nothing.

If I do not want to enter anything, and you "error me" to enter "something", I'll do like this -

asdlöfjasdpoöfja spdfj as fsdaölkjf

And your check is dead. If you want "something", you will get "something".

It is hard (from usability point of view) to "validate" textarea to that extent, and especially - to get reasonable answers...

I work for a scientific database, where all content providers are very intelligent, well educated and very disciplined, and the content editors still have hard time thinking how to guide the content provider so that they provide reasonable input.

Your problem is not so much php related, but a usability and editorial one.

Iv