Re: Categories like wordpress

On May 1, 2008, at 843AM, Richard Heyes wrote:

it's the most flexible and fastest to query.

Mmm, that's debateable. Not knowing the ins and outs of MySQL I'd hazard a guess that reading an extra 255 bytes from the table file might be faster in some circumstances than opening two extra table files. And I don't see why it's more flexible...?

Good point, I should have said "can be more flexible and faster to query". I've found that every time I try to do something like this without having a mapping table that I eventually end up wanting to move to the mapping table setup. Of course that might just be because I'm so used to doing it that way.

Certainly that doesn't mean that other solutions are wrong or bad in any way. I need to learn to not speak in absolutes. :)

The latter two solutions I suggested are certainly easier to work with and (with todays hardware), speed isn't always a factor.

Yes, another great point.

Brady