Re: Quarters

At 8:40 PM +0200 4/15/08, Zoltán Németh wrote:
tedd írta:
Hi gang:

Check out my new game:

http://webbytedd.com/quarters/

What do you think?

that's cool, the only problem is that I lost ten times out of ten ;)

maybe on the weekend I give it a deeper analysis and so I can figure out the winning strategy - because there must be one, which is used by the program

greets,
Zoltán Németh

Zoltán:

There's a log story about that game. But briefly, I was introduced to it by an old man in Bradford Penn. I remember it cost me at least a case of beer before I won a single game -- a very deceptive game, at least it was to me.

But, the program follows a rule based AI algorithm with a bit of randomness thrown in.

I've condensed winning down to three rules -- it will be interesting to see if you can figure out what those rules are. Of course, you could pay $5 and I'll email them to you. :-)

Seriously, I released the game for the Mac in December 1999. In February, MacWorld ran it as one of the top ten shareware games and my web site had over 25,000 downloads that month and the 30+ shareware site out that had the game, reported a total of over 200,000 downloads.

The original game asked for a self-addressed stamped envelope with $5 in it and I would mail the answer back. To my surprise, I received hundreds of letters and money from all over the world. Some of the currency would have cost me more than $5 to cash at my local bank. That was before PayPal did overseas transactions.

Some of the letters had photographs of the people who wanted the secret. I specifically remember a big biker from OZ who sent me a picture of himself and his bike with a note that he was going to make more than $5 by betting on the game in bars. I'm sure he did.

It was a very interesting experience and I've always wanted to put the game up on my site to see what would happen. It's not for the money, but rather the life experience.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------