Re: Importing / Adding Fields Into MySql From A List

revDAVE wrote:
Newbie question!

I have a list of field names from another database (not mysql) - like:

name
phone1
phone2
street
city
state
zip
info
etc.... (a bunch more fields)

Q: Is there a way I can add these to an existing empty/blank table?

I have phpMyAdmin and If there's a way add tables w / php - maybe that would
work also....

If I can just get all the field names in the table as text fields - that
would be ok for now - then I can individually change the field type by hand
w phpMyAdmin...

BTW: What is the best field type for 'average' text (not large 'BLOBS')
like:

1 - Street address - maybe less than 255 characters
2 - Info field - maybe more than 255 characters

- (let's assume that user might want to search on the fields):

-text?
-char?
-TINYTEXT?
-mediumtext?
-varchar?
-longtext?

Q: Is there a url to read about the types?

I'm looking at these now but not quite sure ...

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/char.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/blob.html

Dave,

You really want to take you MySQL questions to a MySQL list.

Also, for using PHPMyAdmin, RTFM as it tells you how to use it with your table.

Wolf