Re: PHP GD library installing

Quoting Robin Vickery <robinv@xxxxxxxxx>:

On 10/04/2008, Thijs Lensselink <dev@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Quoting Robin Vickery <robinv@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On 10/04/2008, Thijs Lensselink <dev@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Luca Paolella <luca.paolella@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >

> > > How do I install/activate the GD library with my existing PHP version?
> > > I'm quite sure it isn't already, since I got this error:
> > >
> > > Fatal error: Call to undefined function imagecreate() in

/Volumes/Data/Users/luca/Library/WebServer/Documents/reloadTest/image.php
> > on
> > > line 6
> > >
> > > Please forgive my ignorance, and thanks for your help
> > >

> >  On windows it's as easy as downloading the dll from pecl4win.php.net.
> >
> >  But from your directory structure i presume you have some sort of *nix
> > system.
> >  So you have to reconfigure and rebuild PHP.
> >

> Ouch... first try installing the php gd module through whatever
> package manager your *nix distribution uses. For instance, on Ubuntu
> linux you'd do:
>
> sudo aptitude install php5-gd

 Ouch? That's exactly what i added to my post "Make sure GD is installed
 on the system."

Making sure GD is installed on the system is a very sensible thing to do.

The "ouch" was aimed at the suggestion that if you're on a *nix
system, the course of action is to recompile php. Normally these days
you'd just install the gd module (the equivalent of your windows dll)
through your package manager.

My bad! :) I always compile everything from source....