Conditional popup driven from server-side

I know popup windows are a client-side issue, but I can't figure how to
create and close a popup window from the server side only on condition,
otherwise display normal browser page.

What I want is to accept a form, check the input, if there are errors return
them to the browser, if there aren't errors then popup a modal window and
start processing (a possibly long process) while displaying results in the
popup window, then automatically close the popup after processing is
complete and redirect to normal browser page with the final results. I want
to use the popup to (a) feedback ongoing progress to the user, and (b) keep
the browser side alive because the process could take several minutes.

Googling for +php +popup is getting me nowhere, all the results are for
javascript. I know how to create a link or button that when clicked will
create a popup that will display the results of a php script, but I need to
do it the other way round. Can anyone please suggest some pointers on how to
generate a conditional popup from the server, and then get the server to
close it when done.

Thanks
Arno