Re: LDAP in php

Nathan Nobbe schrieb:
>     I am 100% aware of the fact that LDAP is a read optimized database
>     (though I am not sure where this optimization goes when back end is
>     PostgreSQL, for example - the LDAP "commands" seem simple and
>     re-writing them into SQL can't be so much overhead; the explanation
>     might be that PostgreSQL powered LDAP is not as fast as... -
> whatever, I'm not an expert and this analysis is not my goal, not now.).
>
> afaik, the performance degrades severly;

Yes, this reconfirms the LDAP strength as read-optimized.

> and its a little more
> complicated to map to sql than one might initially suspect
> http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/intro.html#LDAP%20vs%20RDBMS

Yes, that's why I decided to try a php LDAP read-only (for Thunderbird) "implementation" - I could not see how I can map the LDAP to our SQL (which implements object-relational mapping defined in XML text files and could not be done without the php logic).

> the other key facet of the open ldap (assume this implementation is what
> were discussing [sorry if its an oversight])

No, we did not discuss any specific implementation. We are not against them (or any of them).

Just for me to implement a simple php "LDAP" (read-only, for Thunderbird use) seemed easier for prototyping purposes, than setting up LDAP and writing something that updates it on every change in the original db.

But could be that I am wrong.

> is the use of berkdb
> internally for which there is no php extension. if im not mistaken, the
> 'queries' are compiled directly into the source.

I do not intend to use bdb - but our PostgreSQL, trying to write php "LDAP server (read-only)" - which listens to the LDAP port, receives the requests, gets what it needs from the db and gives it back in an LDAP way.

> i know your reqs for ldap usage are small, but im thinking it would be
> much more straight-forward and less time consuming to just setup ldap,
> write some php scripts to map / sync data from ur relational db to it
> and point the client software to said ldap installation.

May be at the end you are right...

But it was nice brainstorming so far and I'll play a bit, and may be submit the results, in case anything interesting happens.

Thanks for your thoughts, though.
Iv