Re: new lines in textareas?

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Mary Anderson
<maryfran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I have a php script which produces text which is to be displayed in
>  a textarea.  I have the wrap for the text area set to 'hard'.  I need to
>  have newlines inserted in the text.
>      "\n" and "<br>" don't work.  They just get quoted literally in the
>  text.  I suspect I need to use htmlspecialchars , but don't know what
>  special character to feed it.

    Sounds like you're using literal quotes here, Mary.  Single quotes
('like this')take all data between them as literal, while double
quotes ("like this") translate things within.

    $a = "Hello!";
    $b = "I just wanted to say: $a";
    $c = 'I just wanted to say: $a';
    $d = "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs.\n";
    $e = 'The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs.\n';

    The above will output as follows:

    $a: Hello!
    $b: I just wanted to say: Hello!
    $c: I just wanted to say: $a
    $d: The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs. (with a newline)
    $e: The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs.\n

    You may instead want to use HEREDOC syntax.

$text =<<<EOT
This will allow for actual newlines to be carried over.

This also means that Windows-vs-Linux-vs-Mac newlines
are translated exactly as they were entered, so if you're
typing the data into the HEREDOC in a standard Windows
environment, you'll have \r\n, whereas Linux will have \n, and
Mac will have \r.  Keep in mind, in a HEREDOC, those
newline characters will not translate, but variables will.

$b

EOT;

    As always, if you want a newline after the final text is typed,
include one full blank line after.  And always end your HEREDOC by
typing the signifier as the first character on the line.

    Sorry if this is "dumbing it down" for you, but I wanted to take
the opportunity to not only address what may be your problem, but also
put this tidbit into the archives with the question you asked, since
someone down the road may very well find your question with that
problem.  ;-)

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Forensic Services, Senior Unix Engineer