Re: session var not changed if file not found error

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 9:29 PM, Eric Wood <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This has baffled me all day on my FC6 php-5.1.6 based server.
>
>  On a normal working page, I set a session variable at the top and
>  another session variable in the middle of the page/script.  This page
>  has no errors nor missing links.  So everything works great.
>
>  Now, if I cause at least 1 image in the page to become missing on the
>  server (ie, by deleting a .jpg file), then Apache logs the error as
>  usual, ie: "File does not exist".  But in addition, my two session
>  variables seem to get deleted.  If I put the picture(s) back, then no
>  apache errors, and my session vars are set fine.
>
>  I've even enabled detailed php error reporting and I get no errors.
>
>  Is this normal session behavior?  Please say no.  Any ideas?  I can't
>  understand why missing links would cause a session variable's annihilation.

    It's by no means normal behavior, but that doesn't mean that
what's happening for you isn't expected.  Are you clicking a link to
the image and getting the 404 error?  If that's the case, it could be
that your session is dying or expiring when you leave the sanctity of
the page.

    Also, check and see what is included in the 404 response.  Is it a
custom page?  Right-click the missing image and click "view image" to
view the configured 404 response.  There may be a page that is
instantiating its own session, destroying all sessions, or doing
something else that you really don't like.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Forensic Services, Senior Unix Engineer