Re: loosing session in new window (IE only)

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Lamp Lists <lamp.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi,
>  i have a list of people on one page. each row, on the end has link <a href=person.php?id=123 target=_blank>view details</a>.
>  it's requested to open detail page in new window.
>  very few people complained they can't open detail page. all of them use IE.
>  I wasn't able to reproduce the error, though using GoToMeeting I was able to look while customer was doing it.
>  I put session info on screen to see what's going on and found that new window doesn't have session info from "old" window?!? like, new window - new session.
>
>  does anybody knows anything about this?
>
>  thanks.
>
>  -ll

If they open a new window by clicking on IE (say, on the desktop, the
QuickLaunch bar, or the Start menu), Windows actually opens a new,
totally separate process of IE along side the first. The new one will
share any persistent cookies with the first, since they are written to
the file system, but sessions do not usually use persistent cookies.
As long as your users are opening the new window by clicking a link or
by pressing  Ctrl+N from the first window, the session information
*should* remain in tact.

Andrew