Closures

I've been reading up on some of the parts of PHP that has been suggested could be improved so that I could be more well informed. One of the more "interesting" (for lack of a better word) suggestions is closures. I've used closures primarily in JavaScript, and they are handy in that context, but JavaScript handles events and other more dynamic situations like that.

I can't really think of any good examples of why I'd want to use a closure instead of just calling functions or class methods in PHP. Variable functions and call_user_func*() have worked for any of the cases where I did need to be a bit more dynamic.

After reading that article through, I do like Wez's idea of how to create anonymous functions. The point about it causing confusion with people coming from other languages definitely applies though. This article also gives me a second idea for this post. How many people would want closures in PHP?

In summary:

Would you want closures in PHP, and why?

--
Ray Hauge
www.primateapplications.com