Re: General use of rewrite / redirect

Aschwin Wesselius wrote:

> I've seen form processing being done, when finished it gets a header
> redirect to a 'succes' page.

Yes, that's a very typical setup.  When the form is processed, you send
a 303 redirect to the "Thank you" page.  That way, if the user hits
the "back" arrow, he's taken back to the form URL, not the post URL.
(which would then warn him about re-submitting etc.)

> What is your opinion about (ab)using rewrites / redirects? Do you use
> it quick and dirty, or is it some elegant way of controlling flow?

I think there are plenty of perfectly valid reasons for using a
redirect, whether dynamically from php or via an apache config.
And undoubtedly there equally many poor reason for using redirect and/or
rewrite.  (they're very different things, by the way).

/Per Jessen, Zürich