Re: Setting a variable inside a function and making it global insidean inner function doesn't work?

Lamonte wrote:
> Setting a variable inside a function and making it global inside an
> inner function doesn't work?
>
> Right well I have created this function:
>
> [code]
> function getForumChildrenTree( $id )
> {
>    $id = intval( $id );
>    $treeResult = array(
>        'topics' => array(),
>        'posts' => array(),
>        'forums' => array(),
>    );
>    applyForumChildrenTree( $id );
> }
> [/code]
>
> What this function does: Basically this function is set to an id of a
> forum id, then theres a variable that stores an array.  Then theres a
> recursive function called "applyForumChildrenTree" to update the
> "treeResult" variable, but it's not exactly working.  For some reason
> when I did print_r inside the "applyForumChildrenTree" the array is as
> applied:
>
> [quote]
> Array
> (
>    [forums] => Array
>        (
>            [0] => 3
>            [1] => 8
>            [2] => 5
>        )
>
>    [topics] => Array
>        (
>            [0] => 5
>        )
>
>    [posts] => Array
>        (
>            [0] => 5
>        )
>
> )
> [/quote]
>
> Then inside the actual function "getForumChildrenTree" I tried
> outputting the "treeResult" array using "print_r" after the recursive
> function "applyForumChildrenTree" as follows:
>
> [code]
> function getForumChildrenTree( $id )
> {
>    $id = intval( $id );
>    $treeResult = array(
>        'topics' => array(),
>        'posts' => array(),
>        'forums' => array(),
>    );
>    applyForumChildrenTree( $id );
>    print_r($treeResult);
> }
> [/code]
>
> and it showed me a blank array, (default array I created) as follows:
>
> [quote]
> Array
> (
>    [topics] => Array
>        (
>        )
>
>    [posts] => Array
>        (
>        )
>
>    [forums] => Array
>        (
>        )
>
> )
> [/quote]

> [...]

Well you haven't defined anything global in your code, unless you did
inapplyForumChildrenTree(), in which case it needs to be global
everywhere that you want to use it as global.

Easiest way would just be to use it like this everywhere:

$GLOBALS['treeResult'] = array(
        'topics' => array(),
        'posts' => array(),
        'forums' => array(),