Re: Transferring files between computers using php

Aschwin Wesselius wrote:
> Rahul wrote:
>> I have a small file to be transferred between two computers every few
>> seconds. I'm using unix with a bare bones version of php, i.e. just
>> the original thing that gets installed when I run "yum install php".
>> As there is no webserver on any of these machines, I was wondering if
>> there is a way to transfer a small file between them and if there is,
>> could someone be kind enough to provide me with an example please?
>>
>> Thank You
>
> You can use netcat (nc), but that doesn't run in daemon mode. You can
> use them both ways (client / server, sending / receiving). You can use
> them on the commandline with a cronjob or whatever.
>
> Netcat makes it possible to do this, to send content over to port 2200
> of 192.168.1.1:
>
> cat textfile.txt | nc 192.168.1.1 2200
>
> On 192.168.1.1 all you do is something like this:
>
> nc -l -p 2200 > textfile.txt
>
> I don't know all the options in depth and may not work like scp does
> (which is way more secure).
>
> So I would go with scp in a cronjob, but netcat is still an option.

Here's overkill: use "fuse" to make two sshfs filesystems :)

# Make some directories to mount the remote stuff onto
mkdir -p mount_point_for_B
mkdir -p mount_point_for_C

# Use 'fuse' to make SSHFS mounts from the remotes to the new directories
sshfs B:/path_to_where_the_file_is    mount_point_for_B
sshfs C:/path_to_where_the_file_goes  mount_point_for_C

# Copy the file across: repeat this step every few seconds (cron job?)
cp mount_point_for_B/the_file_to_copy   mount_point_for_C

# Unmount the SSHFS mounts when you're finished
fusermount -u mount_point_for_B
fusermount -u mount_point_for_C

Still not PHP though...

--
Peter Ford                              phone: 01580 893333
Developer                               fax:   01580 893399