From: Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Adil Drissi <adil.drissi@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, March 4, 2008 3:09:09 PM
Subject: Re:  regular expressions question

On Tue, March 4, 2008 1:19 pm, Adil Drissi wrote:
> Is there any way to limit the user to a set of characters for example
> say i want my user to enter any character between a and z (case
> insensitive). And if the user enters just one letter not belonging to
> [a-z], this will not be accepted.
>
> I tried  eregi('[a-z]', $fname) but this allows the user to enter
> abdg4512kdkdk for example.

What you tried only requires ONE a-z character somewhere in the input.

Try this:

preg_match('^[a-z]+$', $fname);

This will:
^ "anchor" the string at the beginning
[a-z]+ a to z, with at least one letter
$ "anchor" the string at the end

Note, however, that some people have other characters in their first
name, such as apostrophe, space, and dash.

Oh, and the digit 3, for "bo3b" who was a programmer on the first
Apple Macintosh.  His parents were hippies, and that really is his
name...

You may want to obtain a LARGE list of "first names" and run them
through your validator as a test.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?