Re: Question about PHP Licence and it's future!

On Sat, February 23, 2008 10:50 pm, Tamer Higazi wrote:
> I have asked myself a question. After I saw, that SAP will no more
> release future Versions of their open source Database MaxDB under the
> GPL License, I have asked myself either if this could happen with PHP.

No.

For starters, all the core developers are very committed to PHP being
Open Source.

Secondly, Zend has gone "on record" saying that the Zend Engine will
always be Open Source.  I know, cuz I said so when I worked there. :-)

> Who owns PHP? Is it Zend Technologies or the PHP Group itself? "Who"
> is
> the PHP Group and what makes the PHP Group?

Who owns any GPL for FOSS-licensed software?

The community.

> Who guaranties that future Versions of PHP stays open source and are
> being released under the Terms of the General Public Licenses?

The community.

There are MORE than enough users who would fork it in an instant if
anybody was foolish enough to try and close it.

> Can future Versions from one day to the other no more being released
> under the GPL, only under a closed source license? Let us say, PHP
> would
> be distributed for several architectures only in binary forms and the
> PECL modules stay open source.

Not gonna happen.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.