RES: PHP performance

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Eric Butera [mailto:eric.butera@xxxxxxxxx]
<snip>

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Thiago Pojda
<thiago.pojda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Guys,
>
>  I've been asked to build a performance report for a PHP app. I can't
> profile  it using automated tools as I don't have full access to the
> server, only to  the application itself.
>
>  It's a PHP4 Object-Oriented app, which uses ADODB as abstraction
> layer with  a Oracle 8i databse. The system also uses a VB.NET socket
> server for some  data manipulation.
>
>  As for migrating to PHP5 I think it's crucial, but I need facts that
> it  really runs faster than PHP4. Anyone? :)
>
>  Any ideas on what might be the bottleneck?
>
>  Thanks guys

Try and get a copy of the files and database, then set it up on
your dev machine.  Then profile using Xdebug.

If you're looking for comparison numbers maybe look at:
http://sebastian-bergmann.de/archives/745-Benchmark-of-PHP-Branc
hes-3.0-through-5.3-CVS.html

Just FYI, using ADODB will slow down the performance of your
app.  Any function calls cost against you and it all adds up.

</snip>

I have a copy of the files and database, but setting it up is not that
simple. This vb.net is licensed and we don't have license for.

If I could profile the app I'd be more than happy, but that's not going to
happen anytime soon.

Thanks for those numbers, they'll be handy :)

ADODB removal will be studied, thanks for the hint!