PHP on Windows

I'm completely new to php and I'm trying to setup an online trouble ticket
system.  After the user logs in and submits the ticket, they're supposed to
receive an email confirmation with the ticket number.  I have my Exchange
server setup on another server in the same domain that I'm trying to use to
send these emails - this server requires SMTP authentication.  So I've
installed the PEAR Mail package, as it was my understanding that this would
allow me to do the authentication for the SMTP server - I installed it in
the C:\PHP5\PEAR directory.  Do I need this mail package for the
authentication?  In any case, where do I setup the authentication variables
to send this email?  I tried adding the authentication vars to the
smtp.phpfile in the  C:\PHP5\PEAR\Mail directory, but still not
authenticating.  I'm
completely lost, any help is greatly appreciated.

; PHP 5.2.5 installed on Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6
; Mail-1.1.14 mail pkg with Net_SMTP-1.2.11 pkg

--Erik