Re: Making sure an include file works

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  have you considered installing a local copy of php (and suitable webserver)
>  so you can test it there?

    Always good advice.  At the very least, a remote dev box on which
to work the code.  However, it's not going to be the Holy Grail (as I
know Jochem's already aware, but I'll point out for newbies), because
it's more work than is generally justifiable to mirror an entire
server's environment for a single project.  For example, why would you
want to limit yourself to such antiquated technology on your
development box (losing a lot of functionality, and re-creating
security vulnerabilities and system problems) just to match to a bad
web host?

    More common, you may install Apache 2.0.48 with PHP as an ASPX2
module with the GD library, which has distinct differences from an
Apache 1.3.37 with PHP as CGI with bundled GD.

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>