Re: Mysql vs. Mysqli crash handling

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Larry Garfield <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hi folks.  I've an odd issue.

    Only fair.  You're an odd bird, and we're an odd bunch.  ;-P

>  If I connect to a MySQL DB using ext/mysql, and for whatever reason the process dies (uncaught exception, fatal error, etc.) the connection is garbage collected and closed.  If, however, I use ext/mysqli, the connection remains open forever and just eats up resources, eventually resulting in hitting the connection limit.  Same app, same database, same server.

    What version of PHP and MySQL (client extension and server) are you using?

    What do your mysqli_query() command and SQL query string look like?

>  Any idea why mysqli behaves that way, and how to make it clean up properly?  (Yes I should of course try to avoid fatals in the first place, but when they do happen I don't want them to bring the whole server to its knees.)

    I may not be able to help you, since I've only recently started
switching myself over to mysqli (I know, as always I'm late to adopt),
but with more information, maybe someone like Richard Lynch can come
in and work a miracle.

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>