Re: Re: temporary error

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 18:44 -0500, tedd wrote:
> At 3:58 PM -0500 2/22/08, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 14:49 -0600, Greg Donald wrote:
> >>  On 2/22/08, Daniel Brown <parasane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>  > So help me God
> >>
> >>  Speaking of imaginary things, check out this new site I built few
> >>weeks back:
> >>
> >>  http://rewriteproject.com/
> >>
> >>  I do believe I am the first person to ever "tag cloud" a bible  :)
> >
> >That's pretty funny... but why rewrite a great fantasy?
>
> Not meaning to start a religious debate or what's real and what isn't
> with regard to the Bible, but the other day I was thinking about
> proof for God's existence.
>
> Shouldn't the reason why we ask "if" be sufficient proof that "it is"?

I'm sorry, but the concept of God himself evaluates to the same infinite
regression as the concept of existence. The question should be "What is
existence?", not "Is there a God?". For surely if a God exists, then
from whence does it exist.

> Take the other side of that coin -- if God didn't exist, would we be
> asking?

We would still be asking from whence do we exist. God is merely a hocus
pocus answer to the question. Why delve when you can wave your hands in
the air and say "God".

>  I imagine there are a great number of things that don't exist
> that we never mention -- so why this one?

It is in our nature. We see the things that we create and naturally in
our ignorance many assume that we ourselves must have been created. This
may be true, but it still begs the question of the existence of our
creator. Let's look at it this way... if we create Artificial
Intelligence (aside: remember the discussion about randomness... are we
Artificial Intelligence or somehow more real? >:), but we never allowed
it to know of us directly... would we be it's God? Certainly it would
the same in all comparative understandings for which we hold our concept
of God. As such, would we look no further and say that there can be no
God but we? Do we consider higher up the chain and ask if we are Gods to
our AI, is our concept of God held servant to another higher God (and so
on up the regression)? Or do we just skip the whole idea of God and dig
at the real question... existence (which incidentally parallels the
problems of God with respect to the root of existence).

> All rhetorical comments -- no need to reply. We all have different
> beliefs -- whatever gets you through.
>
> Just offered as food for thought.

Uhuh... you'd like it if nobody had a comment wouldn't you!? ;)

Cheers,
Rob.