Re: Shopping Carts

On Feb 22, 2008, at 9:17 PM, Kista Tucker wrote:

Oh my gosh!

I’m scared to death to create a shopping, but was recently referred to some free shopping cart software. Though I am trying to learn code on my own ( X-HTML, HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.) I’m not yet very good and am extremely nervous (originally became acquainted with PHP from a designers perspective— Thanks David Powers. I have one page on my website). I have a potential client
and he needs a shopping cart.

I’m thinking about installing Zen-Cart. Is this a good idea? Does this
mean that I should also download XAMPP for Mac OS X?  My system is OS
10.4.11. (I haven’t yet installed MySQL and I think the version of PHP that
I installed last year needs to be updated.)

I believe the version of php that came with 10.4.* is in the 4.* range... 5 is out and works wonderfully, and they do have native installers for OS X.

I know someone is going to bite my head off for seeking the above
information, but I don’t know where else to start. I don’t think I can learn enough PHP and MySQL in one week on my own. I don’t want to lose this
client.

Seems like alot of hurdles to go through right at first. But there are a couple of options, one is to install one of the ready made carts like Zen Cart, another is OSCommerce. I'm sure there are others but those I think are the two most popular. You can install and use those while you learn. That way, pleasing the client, getting paid, and learning all in one shot... It's the three point ringer!

Another option would be to hire someone to install it for you... Lots of free lancers out there that do this kind of stuff... I can recommend a couple sites... scriptlance.com and getafreelancer.com are two that I am registered for.

Also, the people here are extremely friendly... And some would say funny... I haven't bought the funny part yet... Always willing to answer questions and help out people who try and stumble...

Hopefully, I have helped you and not scared you... I'm in the learning process my self...

~JP
japruim@xxxxxxxxxx