Re: Converting tab delimited file to CSV

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Chris <dmagick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  > Back to my 'original' problem/question, if I '$f = fopen("$file",
>  > "r")' and 'while ($data = fgets($f))' on the above first format and do
>  > a $data = str_replace("\t",",",$data); the resulting file looks like
>  > the second example above when opened into Textpad but will not open
>  > into separate columns when opened with Excel.
>
>  Look up http://www.php.net/fgetcsv
>
>  and pass "\t" as the field separator.

I give up :-(

My script was using fgetcsv() with ',' as delimiter quite happily for
3 years before the 3rd party changed to Cognos. I have a problem with
file encoding and I really don't understand enough about that.

The files are (I'm told) sent to me in UTF-8 multibyte. My PHP scripts
can't read them correctly so I tried using utf8_encode which made
slight progress (individual fields recognised in delimited file) but
then comparing a utf8_encoded string with one obtained from MySQL then
causes problems, such that utf8_encoded "PRIVATE" does not equal MySQL
sourced "PRIVATE".

The amount of time I'm 'wasting' with this problem will soon exceed
that required to manually convert my 100+ files so it's going on teh
"to do" list and maybe I'll revisit it at a later date.

--
Graham