Re: unable to unset reference

Sylvain R. wrote:
"Chris" <dmagick@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de news: 47BB6C80.6020704@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sylvain Rabot wrote:
Hello,

First of all I would like to know if one day we will be able to unset
$this into a class in order to destroy the object. It could really be
useful to prevent big memory usage.
I doubt the php-dev's will ever allow something like that, seems rather dangerous to me.

Why ? It would be nice to stop thinking PHP developpers are idiots who don't know how to code.

I don't see how that reply implies that opinion.

I don't mean unset($this) is the best wy to allow an object to destroy itself. I just say we miss something to auto destroy objects.
We could also think about a magic method like __destroy().

An object that destroys itself is a really bad idea from an architectural point of view. I, as a consumer of your class, need to have control over the lifetime of any instances I create. In my opinion if you have a need for a class to destroy itself then you have a fundamental design flaw.

As it can't be done I tried to unset an object by unsetting a reference
of this object but it has no effect on the object but only on the
reference.

Should unset destroy the reference itself and the object ???
No, it's not meant to (and I doubt it will change). Why do you want it to do that?

What is the original problem you're trying to solve?

I put SQL resources into an objects and I would like to destroy objects when calling method free() but obviously I can't.

I don't understand why you need to destroy the class instance to clear up member variables. Or am I not understanding your diction?

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/