Re: Converting tab delimited file to CSV

On Feb 18, 2008 1:39 PM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 13:24 -0500, Andrew Ballard wrote:
> > On Feb 18, 2008 1:08 PM, Graham Cossey <graham.cossey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > My biggest gripe with tab delimited files is
> > > that they are quite a bit bigger than comma delimited files so I may
> > > have to split the large files I receive into smaller 'chunks' to allow
> > > them to be uploaded.
> > >

> > Why would tab-delimited files be larger than CSV? A tab character takes
> up
> > just as much space as a comma as far as document size is concerned. Am I
> > missing something?
>
> He's probably confusing tab delimited with fixed width columns.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.

Ah, yes. That would also explain why Excel would open it as a single column
by default if he didn't use the text import wizard.

FWIW - If you do open a text file like this, there is a menu item to convert
text to columnar data once the sheet is already open so you don't have to
close the document and reopen it.

Andrew