Converting tab delimited file to CSV

I was wondering if someone could offer some advice please.

I'm being sent data in tab delimited files which I'm trying to split
into smaller files and convert to comma delimited using PHP.

Now, I can replace the tabs with commas and opening the resulting
files in a basic text editor all looks fine. However when I open the
files in M$ Excel they're still being treated as tab delimited and all
values are being shoved into a single column.

What can I do in the PHP code to specifically make the file CSV and be
treated as such by M$ Excel?

I'm currently just using fopen for old and new files and fwrite.

--
Graham