Re: Copying 1000s files and showing the progress

Ritesh Nadhani wrote:
Hello All

I have a situation where I have to copy something like 1000 files one
by one to a temporary folder. Tar it using the system tar command and
let the user download the tar file.

Now while the copy is going on at server, I want to show some progress
to the user at client side. Most of the tutorial I found on net was
about showing progress while a file is being uploaded from client to
server. In this case the client has the info but for my case, the
client has no info.

A similar was problem was solved at
http://menno.b10m.net/blog/blosxom/perl/cgi-upload-hook.html but its
in PERL and uses some form of hook. I have no clue how to do it in
PHP.

Any clues or right direction would be awesome.

Write a bash script on the fly to do the work, execute it using php, output the progress of the bash script back to the browser using output buffering.. just remember to pad the strings to buffer size and flush() so they actually get sent.