Re: Template system in PHP

On 2/12/08, Greg Donald <gdonald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> REST is the new SOAP.  Yaml is the new XML.  I'm guessing this news
> just hasn't made it into any PHP frameworks yet.

REST for the win.
SOAP is best left for the bathtub.

as far as templating engines go, a while back i wanted to see if i
could find the best template engine to suit all my needs. what i wind
up finding was 100's of PHP-based templating engines, a LOT of them
related to each other in some way. what you wind up doing is learning
a proprietary language that is basically mimicing the constructs of
PHP... and in theory, PHP -is- a templating language already.

so after lots of digging and reading, i've come to the conclusion that
packages like wordpress have it best: just let people write PHP. the
whole "designers shouldn't have to learn PHP" is bunk, because they'll
have to learn Smarty, or XSL, or some other proprietary language.

i would say though that as far as template languages go, XSL/XML seems
to be a decent fit. although XSL can be annoying (and processor
intensive), it's a perfect fit of data in XML that can be validated
and a template in XSL that can be validated and has presentation
logic, variables and is a standard (published by W3C) which is a lot
farther than any of these other templating languages can go.