Re: Template system in PHP

Xavier de Lapeyre schreef:
Hi,
I need to develop a website, but my management is rather unstable in his
vision for the layout.
I'm thinking of developing the components as classes and functions, and
then use a template system to render the layout.
If the management wishes to change the layout, I'll just have to modify
my template and the jobs' done.

Do any of you guys & gurls know of a way to implement that template
system.

(The best one I know of is that of Wordpress)

you can do better.
don't bother to create your own template system, using something that already
exists. there are plenty of 'php template engines' out there. one of the
most well known is Smarty (http://smarty.net/) which is a good one to start with,
they have quite extensive docs and a decent mailing list (things which I feel are
worth taking into consideration beyond the purely technical pros and cons when
deciding which one to use).

googling for php+template+engine will get you a stack of possible candidates.

also consider that the way you write your HTML heavily influences how much
you have to change when management  decides on a visual change. if you go the
route of writing very functional HTML (i.e. HTML that makes next to no attempt to
provide layout/styling) and use CSS as much as possible to provide the actually
layout/design then you might consider not bothering with a template and just using
CSS to implement UI design changes.

to get an idea of exactly how different a single page of HTML can look depending on
the CSS that is applied take a look at csszengarden

Regards,
Xavier de Lapeyre
Web Developer