DNS query in ldap_search

Hi,

I have a strange problem here. I try to authenticate users with LDAP
at an Active Directory Server (AD). Everything works fine. Just in
some cases, authentication is not possible. As we discovered, this has
something to do with a strange DNS Server setting. Sometimes a nslookup
for the (imaginary) host example.ch returns an address and sometimes it
does not.  In times when the DNS server reports an (arbitrary) address
the authentication process gets broken.

Some testing with tcpdumps and the like enabled us to locate the problem
in the php function ldap_search. If this function is called like it is
shown in the code below, it starts a DNS query to the context (example.ch
in this case).

So my question is, why does "ldap_search" start a DNS query for the
context?

Since I'm not able to make any changes to the DNS server, I need the
php-side get fixed.

Does anyone has an idea?

Regards,
Jan

<?php
//   $server == LDAP Server
//   $bind_cn == Distinguished Name of (AD) LDAP Bind User
//   $bind_pw == Password of (AD) LDAP Bind User
//   "DC=example,DC=ch" == User lookup Context

$con = ldap_connect($server);

$bnd = ldap_bind($con, $bind_cn, $bind_pw);

$res = ldap_search($con, "DC=example,DC=ch", "sAMAccountName=username");

ldap_close($con);
?>