Re: shopping carts

On Feb 7, 2008 9:59 AM, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008 9:24 AM, Eric Butera <eric.butera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > While I agree that if the end user doesn't get it, then you don't get
> > paid... but quality matters if you have to extend/maintain/secure it.
> > Well, I guess not.  Look at how wildly popular MySpace is.
>

> im guessing most people who use oscommerce or zencart dont ever
> look at the code, let alone extend it.  a couple years back i setup a
> zencart install for someone and i remember looking on the forums at
> that time..  someone was trying to mod it a little and one of the core
>  devs said something like 'what are you doing, mucking around in the
> code..'; i was somewhat shocked at that.
>
> did you see the thread that started last night about a zencart module
> and php arrays??  if thats indicative of the typical user (which i suspect
>  it is) i think these guys are safe to assume not many people are going
> to extend their code.  but thats no excuse for poor code (here i assume
> the code is bad, but from a cursory glance it looks like zencart has
>  improved since i last used it [though ive not looked at the code much]).
>
> if i were going to use it id almost certainly end up maintaining some sort
> of forked version or perhaps just grabbing some functionality from it, like
>  maybe integration w/ a payment gateway or something.  hopefully that
> cant be too bad, and small enough to easily tweak in the event it needed
> a face-lift.
>
> -nathan

If you look at plugin architectures of projects such as drupal,
phorum, or serendipity you can see there are better ways of doing
things rather than messing up the source code.  I recently found
Magento, and the code looked really promising, but it is just too
slow.  Having to diff your project and upgrade changes is a horrible
thing each time a security patch comes out.

A big part of what I do is work on e-commerce solutitons for local
stores and such.  Each one has wildly different needs that just cannot
be packaged up easily.  So in the end I've implemented my own solution
because I felt that to be able to address clients needs properly I
needed a system where swapping out the hard parts were easier.  Now
when somebody comes to us with their fancy new payment gateway I can
read the docs and integrate it fairly easy without breaking anything
because I know how the other parts work and can implement accordingly.